June 28, 2010

Salt Lake City Utah Appeals from Justice Court Attorney

Appeals from Justice Court

Utah has a system of Justice Courts, which are courts below the District Courts.  The authority of Justice Courts is limited.  Generally they can handle only infractions and class C and B misdemeanors.  Class A misdemeanors and felony charges are handled by the District Courts.

Most cities and counties have a Justice Court and the criminal defense attorneys at Utah Defenders has appeared in Justice Courts all over the state.  When you hire Utah Defenders you can rest assured that you have experienced attorneys who know the Justice Court system.

The Advantage of an Appeal from Justice Court to District Court

The great thing about an appeal from a Justice Court to a District Court is that it is an appeal de novo.  What that means is the case enters the District Court as though it were a brand new case.  It is, essentially, a way to start the case over.  You get to go through the same process and you get to have a new trial on the merits of the case.

Thus, if you go to trial in the Justice Court and a judge or jury finds you guilty without sufficient evidence to make such a finding, you have the option of appealing to the District Court and having your case re-tried.  This will also provide you an opportunity to have another judge who is legally trained (many Justice Court judges have never been lawyers and have not been trained in the nuances of criminal law) review the legal points of your case and make rulings on your motions.  It is, for all intents and purposes, a fresh start.

Utah Defenders Will Handle Your Appeal to District Court

The Salt Lake City criminal defense lawyers at Utah Defenders can handle your appeal to District Court and will provide you with a solid defense in the District Court venue.  If you have been convicted in Justice Court and would like a second chance, give the attorneys at Utah Defenders a call locally at 801.618.1334 to set up a free consultation where you will be able to sit down face to face with one our attorneys.  You can also email us and we’ll get back to you right away to schedule an appointment with you.