The elements of a theft crime in Utah are very basic. Theft is simply when someone obtains or exercises control over the property of another with the intent to deprive its owner of his rights to the property. Simple enough right? Although it seems basic there are a number of different types of crimes which require a Utah theft lawyer. For example there is:
- Theft by deception – which occurs when someone deceives another in order to steal his property.
- Theft by extortion – which occurs when someone uses blackmail in order to deprive another of his property.
- Theft of lost, mislaid, or mistakenly delivered property – which occurs when someone takes property that he knows does not belong to him and was lost, mislaid, or delivered to him on accident, with the intent to deprive the owner of the property.
- Theft by receiving stolen property
- Theft of services
- Theft of utility or cable television services
- Theft by through repair or rental agreement
- Theft of a rental vehicle
- Retail Theft
- Felony Theft, which can include retail theft and any of the other types of theft listed above if the amount stolen is of sufficient value.
Utah Defenders – Utah’s Theft Law Firm
Whether you have been charged with retail theft for stealing $50 worth of clothes from your favorite retail store or you have been charged with stealing a $5,000 entertainment system that was accidentally delivered to your house, the Utah criminal defense attorneys at Utah Defenders will protect you and defend you against the theft charges alleged against you.
Even if you only stole $2 worth of gum you are still looking at up to six months in jail so don’t make the mistake of facing such charges without the exceptional representation provided by Utah Defenders. Go in to court confidant that your attorney is a Utah Defender and your defender.
Call or Email Us
Call us anytime for your free consultation with a Utah Defender. 801.618.1334 or email us anytime as well. We are based in Salt Lake City and serve all of Utah.